Advertisement

Thursday 3 March 2016

Visiting the 9/11 Memorial and Museum

No Day Shall Erase You from the Memory of Time

~Virgil~

On the way to visit the Memorial and Museum at the World Trade Center site in lower Manhattan, I thought back to where I was and what I was doing at the time of the attack. Ironically, I was waiting for my financial adviser to arrive for an appointment to review my investments.

I had little idea what to expect when I arrived at the memorial. The last image I had seen of the site was years ago when the building foundations were still being excavated. On a recent trip to New York, I saw the top of the 1 World Trade Center building rising from the skyline in the distance.

I recalled my last visit to the site in the 1980's. I attended a psychologist training session on the 43rd floor overlooking the Hudson River, The Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. The drapes had to be closed so we could concentrate on the proceedings rather than the view.

When I arrived at the site, I had my first glimpse of the reflecting pools surrounded by many beautiful trees. I knew of only one woman who died in the attack and found her name inscribed in a bronze parapet surrounding one of the pools along with the names of all the others who died in the attacks or as rescue workers.

The museum reception building stands near the reflecting pools while the exhibits lie below them in the original footprints of the two towers. The museum shows the retaining walls as they have been since the towers were erected. Graphic reminders of the intensity of the destruction abound including a fire engine melted in the blaze. Throughout the museum are photos, videos and audio recordings of building the World Trade Center, the plots to attack the towers, the Pentagon and the fate of Flight 93, diverted by passengers from attacking a site in Washington.

Most poignant to me were recordings of workers trapped in the two towers and passengers on Flight 93. I imagined how I would feel in their position. I wonder whether I would be able to formulate any meaningful words in their situation.

The recordings I heard were all calm and considered. They consisted of phone calls to loved ones and assured those they cared for of their gratitude for their time together and that they would always be loved. I found this the most touching part of my visit. Before they died, I think that all of them knew that terrorist attacks had brought them to the point of death. Yet I did not hear one word of anger or blame. Instead they spent their last moments cherishing their thoughts of their loved ones. I will always keep this as the most treasured memory of my visit.

Life Lab Lessons

What do you think will be your last thought before dying?
What has been wonderful about your life so far?
Who are the people you most treasure?
Have you told them why they are so special to you?
If not, what are you waiting for


Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/8793515

No comments:

Post a Comment