Advertisement

Friday 14 August 2015

Zeti denies resignation, remained governor until April 2016

Bank Negara governor Tan Sri Zeti Akthar Aziz (pictured) denied speculation that he will resign.

KUALA LUMPUR: Bank Negara governor Tan Sri Zeti Akhtar Aziz denied speculation that he will resign.

Zeti at a press conference at the National Bank this afternoon said that he remained in office at the central bank until his contract expires next year.

"I remain as governor until my tenure expires. My contract is for five years and during that period will expire next year, "she said.

He has in the meantime denied rumors that he was suffering from health problems.

"I have no health problems, my doctor told me that the heart is still strong. I have been doing medical examination and everything is okay. "

Earlier, rumors say that the Governor that had a heart attack but denied the Corporate Relations Department of BNM confirmed his attendance to the office as usual and are in good health.

At the ceremony, the governor was asked whether he would retain his position after the expiry of the contract, but he just said he wanted to write a book about his retirement.

"16 years is long enough. I have done what I wanted for the financial sector. Much remains to be done, including the migration to electronic payments.

"National Bank is a strong institution and I want to see it increased to a higher level."

At the same ceremony, the governor also announced that the gross domestic product (GDP) grew 4.9 percent in the second quarter of 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment